Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Onward Into the Meseta of No Return


"When you meet anyone, remember it is a holy encounter. And as you see them, you will see yourself." -A Course in Miracles

We left the hotel in Burgos later than is usual for us since we didn't want to miss out on the breakfast buffet that was included in our room price.  We made some sandwiches from the ham, cheese and bread on offer and stuffed them in our pockets for lunch later, like the true pilgrims we have become. Out the door by 8am and we are on our way to pass by the cathedral one last time and out of the city.

I just want to say that I have come into a rhythm with my hiking poles that goes like...clickclickclick......click    Leftrightleft....right.  It's sort of the only
way I am surviving.  It's very meditative for me and keeps my mind off the strain of walking in my body.

It took us a while to leave the bustle of the city and the roar of the highway we would be walking along but it wasn't long until we entered the wilderness of the meseta. 69 percent earthen track and endless wheat fields.  Our friend Shannon along with others we have met, have decided to forgo this part and bus forward to Leon.  Not an option for John and I. We are committed to enjoying or at the least experiencing everything this Camino has to offer us.

We walked in the HOT sun for 13 miles to Hornillos meeting Mark, a New Yorker walking with Cherry, after which I was singing Cherry Baby by Neil Diamond over and over in my mind all day. Hey, at least it wasn't "I will walk 500 miles....".  When I told her she didn't seem amused. Oh well....I'm sure she paid hell for that name at one time.  Mark caught up to John later in he day and proceeded to tell him how old he was (in his 60s) and how he was matching him step for step among other things as if he really had something to prove.  A young man was sitting in the shade of a tree eating his lunch and John abruptly veered of the path to make his acquaintance. Later, Mark from New York.  The young man was 24 year old Kyle from Chicago walking the Camino until he starts work as a ski instructor at Vail in November.

I admit that I think that Kyle, unfortunately innocently enough, epitomizes American culture, me included, with his ultra white straight teeth. Talk about a hundred watt smile!!!

We arrived in Hornillos and checked into the municipal albergue where we were delighted to find Anika and Mike, a couple we hadn't seen since Roncevalles!  We were given our stamps, cringing slightly as we walked through the cramped dorms on our way to the gymnasium where they had overflow. We were happy to be in this big spread out space instead of on top of each other in bunk beds.

We showered in relatively nice showers, did our laundry and hung it out to dry in the hot sun.  Went for beers with Becky from the UK who we had met earlier at the picnic spot where we had our lunch, and Kyle who I mentioned earlier long with Anika sans Mike who was feeling a little under the weather.  Moans, a Dutch guy who had left his girlfriend in Burgos hobbled in on his shin splinted leg and joined us as well. We also saw John and Debbie from NZ and are surprised at how well he is getting on with his feet in such a bad way.

We gathered for the pilgrims meal and then retreated to a beautiful spot in front of the huge Gothic church to continue to drink another bottle of delicious Spanish vino.  The times on the Camino are so special with young and old getting along and finding things and experiences to share.









6 comments:

  1. Cayce, I am just catching up on your adventure! Your posts are really descriptive and inspiring! I will send the link to my mom and dad to follow your trip! What an amazing opportunity! I am truly excited for you to experience such a wonderful trip! Tell John I said HI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! It's been a fantastic experience so far! Glad u are enjoying.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy reading your posts and can relate to meeting so many nice folks on the Camino. I will leave Pedrouzo early tomorrow morning and finish in Santiago. Buen Camino!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear your experience of coming into Santiago. I get emotional just thinking of it. Buen Camino !

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John and Cayce!

    I have been reading your posts all along and really love your adventure!
    so happy you are sharing it with us!
    Sending you smiles and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete