Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Logrono Third Biggest City on the Camino

Left the hotel in a sleep-in lazy kind of way with eggs, real ham, coffee and pastries, knowing we didn't have far to walk to today's destination.  Talked all the way to Logrono, which made the few short miles pass easily.  We must be rested.

On our way into the city on an open stretch of field we came upon cardboard handwritten signs spaced out by a few yards each.  They spoke of the unemployment in Spain, and how this person had been forced into homelessness.  He was obviously living out of his van and had a small table of coffee and fruit to offer the hungry and weary pilgrims on their way.  My thoughts went immediately to, "oh no, I don't want to give this man anything..he is needy and I just dont want to deal with it right now," etc.  So we passed him by as he held out his hand, pointing to his meager offerings, his kindly face smiling at the hope of connection only to have us say no gracias and walking on.

It didn't take me long for the tears to pour down my face as I walked on silently..  My heart was breaking, not for the homeless man but for me.  How many times do I miss an opportunity to offer some small kindness to another in my day.  My only solace would come as I leaned on my spiritual knowing that I would receive yet another chance.  In the meantime I said a little prayer for the man and another of forgiveness for myself.

We made it to Logrono in short time and checked into our small pension the San Sebastian.  It was a private room sharing 3 bathrooms with 8 other rooms.  It would be full by the end of the day but we never saw anyone.

Had another evening sampling tapas and drinking the wonderful Rioja wine.  Met up with our NZ friends John and Debbie, said goodnight hoped to see them tomorrow and off to bed early since we have a 20 mile push tomorrow to Najera.....can I do this?








4 comments:

  1. Leaving Nerja,Spain on the costa del sol and will begin the camino in two days in Sarria. I guess my group will be about a week ahead of you. For me, it's just a six day mini Camino. Great to read about your experiences. Thanks for taking the time to do this for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, g
      Ad you are enjoying the blog. I wish you safe travels and buen Camino!

      Delete
  2. Tell us how many euros in a dollar please and great pictures. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, the euro translates to .74 cents on the dollar. We lose 26 cents per dollar. Bummer but beers are about 1.50 euro each and other thing are pretty reasonable. John says hey and thinks you'd like walking this thing too....until you read my next post. :)

      Delete