Monday, September 16, 2013

23.4km to Estella Are We There Yet?

Up and out early after goodbyes to our friends. As is becoming more typical we passed through pretty little bucolic (love that word and where is my thesaurus?) towns.  It was really warm today which didn't help the aching body.  I'm banking on the suggestions from other pilgrims who have done this before, that my body will get used to the punishment I am exacting upon it.  I will say that I'm not having any foot problems, nor is John, thankfully.  We are swearing by the liners we are wearing in addition to the wool socks.  We've seen some pretty nasty blisters so far on other pilgrims.

We stopped for coffee and met Mark and Lynn from CA.  Walking on with tummies grumbling, tired of bocadillos con Jamon, baguette with cured ham, we found a place that had pizza.  Being terrified of the possibility of cured meat on the pie, we opted for just cheese.  It was excellent washed down with grande cervesas.  My body seems to appreciate the carbs since I'm burning them off rapidly.  Sounds like a good excuse anyway.

Walking on we met up with a frantic Mark asking us if we'd seen his wife.  While trying to call ahead for hotel reservations for Estella, after hearing that it would be hard to find a place, he thought he heard Lynn telling him to go ahead and that she would catch up.  He said he would backtrack 20 minutes or so and if we saw her could we please tell her what the deal was.  When we arrived in Estella, hot and dusty, there she was asking if we'd seen him! She was ahead when he thought she was behind.  I'm now glad John waits up for me.

We ended up in the alburgue Afar which employs special needs people. This would be our first official dorm experience.  By that I mean 34 bunks in a room and male/female shared showers and bathrooms!  Ok, honey, we can do this.......I think.  All our fears melted away immediately when we met Rick and Christina from Boston and John and Debbie from New Zealand.  We are all in this together.

Showered (quickly), settled into our bunk and headed out for exploration. It's amazing the energy a shower is giving me! John bought a couple of cans of beer & some nuts which we enjoyed on a bench in a beautiful little park, watching the local children skateboarding.

Returned to the albergue and









 headed out for dinner on invitation from Rick to join them for the pilgrims menu down the street.  Rick turns out to be the Camino comedian telling us their funny experiences so far.  We were joking that every meal comes with French fries and laughing at the possibility that the spaniards actually hate them but think we like them.  We had the typical choice of chicken pork or fish as an entree, mixto salad, pasta and actual veggies (they were very cooked but welcome by me) as first course and lemon cake, ice cream or yogurt for dessert AND last but not least, excellent Navarre wine included!

Back to the dorm, picked up our laundry that they did for us for 3 euro, hung up my pareo as a curtain (brilliant!) on my bunk, kissed my honey goodnight as we raised eyebrows at each other for the night ahead with the snoring symphony already starting.  I am in love with my ear plugs.  I am reminded of something my father in law humorously says when we go out to enter the fray of humanity, "lets go out amongst 'em".  "They" are me.

3 comments:

  1. I am absolutely enjoying your story!!
    Such a GREAT adventure.

    A nice Tai massage might come in handy soon.
    Or any kind of massage.
    I know many of the towns you are passing thru
    have this available.
    love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana...Thanks for the kind notes and following our journey. I fee your spiritual presence as walk the walk. You are here in body, mind and spirit. Sending. Love your way in bunches. Bro....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Cayce and sharing your magnificent camino experience with us! Nancy and I are enjoying reading about your journey and the wonderful people put before you and John. The spirit of the camino is alive and well! It took us about a week of walking for our bodies to acclimate to the daily long walks. You and John will soon find yourselves in a "groove." We are so happy for you both!! Buen Camino! Joe and Nancy Gomez

    ReplyDelete