Friday, July 26, 2013

When You Fall, You Just Gotta Get Back Up

The training continues for the big walk and I'm happy to say that the boots are in!  John and I took a short camping trip up to Jefferson Lake, about an hour from our place.  We decided to do a road walk from the campground up to the lake which was about 3 miles each way.  It was dusty dirt road and asphalt mixed so we figured it to be a good representation of what we might encounter on parts of the Camino.  All in all it was pretty easy and the Corona's afterward went down pretty nicely with an immediate nap following. 


 
As we walked we saw a sign for the Colorado Trail, which is another epic walk through the entire state of Colorado.  On this sign it had a mile marker for Kenosha Pass, 6 miles away.  We both looked at each other and said "should we?"  That's 12 miles round trip!  Why oh why would I ever subject myself to a hike like that?  Me talking to myself again.  Oh yeah, that is the least of what we will be doing EVERYDAY on the Camino, God willing.  I tossed and turned all night just thinking of it.  Not really, that 6 mile walk really wiped me out.
 
Ok up at 6:30 after telling John that we need at least an hour to wake up and get ready to go.  We imagined the Camino mornings being early and walking even before getting something to eat, hoping to run into a town possibly 5 miles down the road for a sit, cup of coffee and something to eat!  We started out on the trail at about 7:30 to a glorious morning and was I eating up trail!  John said he had never seen me hike that fast.  I knew we had 12 miles in front of us and I wanted to get it OVER WITH!  That fast pace was my downfall.....literally.  I hooked the toe of my boot on a root and face planted in the dirt.  Well thankfully it wasn't my face but I did come down pretty hard on my knee and elbow.  Poor John was helpless to do anything but come to my aid and help me up off the ground.  I was so happy Id worn pants that covered my knee or it would have been uglier.  Only a flesh wound as Monty Python would remind me.  All in all we made it back to the campground by 12:30!  No hotspots on the boots and the socks and liners seem to be doing the job I expected.  Hopefully the clumsiness will not prevail.
 
As a final note on this post, our thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by the train wreck in Santiago recently.  This weekend is the celebration of the St. James Feast Day and there were no doubt many pilgrims on their way for that party.  Our hearts go out to them.  Tomorrow we will be joining the Colorado Front Range Chapter of the American Pilgrims for a potluck picnic in Denver. 

This looks much worse now in the color of black and blue.

4 comments:

  1. Are you doing the Camino on your own or as part of a group? Either way it will a worthwhile adventure.
    We left Santiago on that train a week before the horrific accident.
    Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, Sorry it has taken me so long to get back but as you can imagine we have been crazy busy getting ready. To answer your question, we are going on our own, but by the time we reach Santiago, God willing, we will certainly be part of a group! Yes, we were horrified by the train accident. Very scary.
      Buen Camino!

      Delete
  2. Hey Jim! Good to hear from you. Long time no see! Hope you enjoy the blog. At least you can see where we are and what we are up to. John filled me in on conversation. Hope all is well. Miss seeing you. Hugs~cayce

    ReplyDelete