Friday, July 19, 2013

The Flow Continues....Or Lack Thereof!

There is a saying in pilgrim circles that your journey has begun when you truly commit to it.  I would say that that is a definite truism here!

I consider myself to be a deeply spiritual person who tries to look at the profundity of everything that happens in my life.  Maybe a simpler word would be, to simply be "aware".  I feel that everything has a meaning for me. Basically a call for a deep examination of how I react to whatever comes my way.  I also try to maintain my sense of humor through it all.  Otherwise Id go nuts completely.

My journey seems to be in full swing with the dilemma of my boots!  We are not very far out from departure and I still don't have boots that are working for me!  This is one of the most important items you should have on this walk!  I bought a pair of Merrill Moab Mid highs which I really do like.  Merrill tends to fit women's feet nicely and I have found that to be true with these being my 4th pair overall.  I wore the Moab's around and around the house and it wasn't until I took a small walk (yes, outside) in them that I realized that they are too small for my, what used to be size 7 foot.  As I have gotten older, my feet have flattened out and gotten bigger! WHAT?! I think swelling is an issue too.  I felt a few hot spots even though I have great wool socks and liners.  This will NOT do.  I hope the store has a half size bigger or possibly a full size.  I have the trust that this will all pan out. I still have a while to wear them as breaking in is really no longer the rule since they are making boots so wonderfully now.

My second dilemma has been that Travelocity, where I bought one of our airline tickets on points reward, sent me an urgent email that British Airways had changed the schedule and one of our connections was no longer valid.....   On the phone to Travelocity, I spent the better part of a morning trying to get through.  Heart pounding....calm down, it will all work out to our benefit somehow.  (me talking to myself)   I know my automatic negative judgments about this situation are creating my anxiety!!!

I learned that on our return to Denver, the Paris/London connection was cancelled and they had put me on a flight that would have me miss my connection back to Denver.  No word from British Airways on John's flight! (thank you Travelocity for the heads up!)  My option was to fly out of Paris (CDG) at 7:00 am and layover in London for 4 hours.  OR fly out of ORLY at 10:00 and only layover for a couple of hours.  Since we don't have plans currently on the return we can be flexible. Awesome! ORLY is basically on the other side of Paris.  We will get there somehow.   Let me call British Airways and make sure I can change John's itinerary so we are on the same flight home!  Maybe after this trip we wont want to be on the same flight, but I am erring on the side of, since this is our anniversary trip, we will be more in love than ever and wont be able to bear it if our flights are different! Really I don't want to be leaving out of two different Paris airports for now.  OK, thank you British Airways and Travelocity for figuring this out for me.... Staying calm, putting into practice my knowing that all is well and all is good, definitely worked to my advantage, AND to the nice people on the other end of the line! Whew!

4 comments:

  1. Cayce,
    I got a link to your blog site from a mutual friend, Don Marano. I have worked with Don at IHI Environmental for the past 25 years and worked with your dad for about 15 years before he retired.
    I am excited to read about your upcoming pilgrimage on the Camino. My wife and I along with two others just returned on July 5 from walking a portion of the Camino. We walked from Sarria Spain to Santiago de Compostela. Billed as 100 km but turns out to be about 73 miles and not 62. All I can say is you and your husband are in for a adventure that I am certain you will remember and reflect upon for the rest of your lives. We did not have the time to do the entire 500 miles but what we did was exciting and very worthwhile. If there is anything I can offer to help you with your planning and doing the Camino, please feel free to send me your email address and I will give you what I learned.
    Until the future Buen Camino.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tom! Nice connecting with you! How long did it take you to walk from Sarria to Santiago? Im excited and anxious both. We did a 12 mile training hike yesterday and I seemed to have held up well. Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the Sarria to Santiago portion in seven days. Left SLC on June 20 arrive in Madrid in AM of June 21. Took a train from Madrid to Sarria the evening of June 21 and arrived in Sarria at 0700 on June 22. Started our pilgrimage that morning and arrived in Santiago on June 29 in time to attend the Pilgrims Mass at noon in the Cathederal. You must attend the Pilgrim's Mass as it is a must see. The Mass is celebrated every day at noon for pilgrims.
      Sorry for not getting back to you sooner on this comment.

      Buen Camino

      Delete
  3. hey there, Cayce! you two rock! now we absolutely must get together when you come back. I want to hear all about it. sending love and courage. Ruthie

    ReplyDelete