Wednesday, July 10, 2013

30 Years on Pilgrimage

Since this trip is being undertaken in the year that we are honoring 30 years of our wedded bliss, it felt only appropriate to spend the actual day celebrating with a 10 mile hike at the new local state park.  More like wedded blis-ter!  This was a real test of our equipment namely for me, shoes.  My broken in Merrels, hiking boots that I have loved thus far, were starting to hurt my right foot in such a way that I knew it was from an old injury I suffered in '07 after stepping off of a darkened back porch in Berkeley California while celebrating John's first,  and so far only,  marathon in San Francisco.  That is another story in and of itself, but suffice it to say, I think I tore ligaments.  It healed on it's own eventually but I can still feel the effects now and again.

We made it through the hike in around 5 hours, stopping to put on rain covers about half way through since it is lately monsoon season here in Colorado.

When we arrived home, sitting in the mailbox were the "Credencials del Peregrino" we had ordered from the office of the American Pilgrims on the Camino in Palo Alto California.  We could not have asked for a better anniversary present!  How cool is that since this is what the trip is for anyway?!  Lately I have not been the most proud American, but the feeling I had receiving my credential from the American Pilgrims gave me such a feeling of connectedness to the people of all nationalities who hopefully undertake this pilgrimage for reasons more in common than their politics.  For once, proud to call myself an American Pilgrim! 

This document, our credential, we will carry with us all along the way to have stamped in each albergue when we register for the night at the end of a long day of walking.  It will be stamped and dated daily in order for us to receive our official Compostela certificate in Santiago at the end of the journey.

The letter that came with the credentials read, and gave me chills: 

We are very happy to provide you with your credencial del peregrine for your upcoming journey on the Camino de Santiago.  The Camino has existed for a thousand years, and you are about to become part of its legacy.

oh my, we are seriously doing this thing!!!!

The credential itself, is presented so lovingly with our names typed out with our hometown and the little box "on foot" checked off next to "by bicycle" and "on horseback".  It truly feels like some kind of baptismal certificate.  I know in my heart it is about to become just that in some kind of way.

When I read the Pilgrims Prayer from Codex Calixtinus - 12 Century,  on the inside I couldn't hold back my tears.

"God, You called your servant Abraham from Ur in Chaldea watching over him in all his wanderings and guided the Hebrew people as they crossed the desert.  Guard these your children who, for love of your Name, make a pilgrimage to Compostela.  Be their companion on the way, their guide at the crossroads, their strength in weariness, their defense in dangers, their shelter on the path, their shade in the heat, their light in the darkness, their comfort in discouragement, and the firmness of their intentions; that through your guidance, they may arrive safely at the end of their journey and, enriched with grace and virture, may return to their homes filled with salutary and lasting joy."
 
 
 
 


This rainbow appeared when we got home.  Our Camino has begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment