Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Time Draws Ever Nearer

We are getting pretty excited now as we only have a few weeks until our departure for Spain!  Our plans thus far have us flying to Paris with a connection in London and then another flight into Biarritz France near Bayonne where we are considering spending the night.  This locale will get us within a train ride to our intended destination of St. Jean Pied du Port where we will begin our journey.

We are pretty much set with all we will need for the trip.  I have not packed up my pack to see how much weight I will have...almost feels like saving the best for last!  Since we have the convenience of checking a bag, we will put our hiking sticks, which are not allowed in carryon obviously, a knife and some liquids in a box that we can throw away once we get to our destination.

I have been struggling over my third outfit being a dress that I will hike in and also that will work well for dinner and church.  After a few failed attempts Ive finally settled on a black lightweight Patagonia that looks like it will wash and wear easily.  As I picture myself walking in the thing with my hiking boots, backpack and walking sticks, not to mention my floppy REI sunhat, I have to wonder what the hell Im doing.  On another clothing note, I was so happy to find some Columbia zip-off pants at the outlet stores in Silverthorne for $24!  I had been searching and couldn't find a thing under $60 so Im happy about that success!!!

As for training, John has been on a pretty grueling backpack trip with 12 miles done in one day over some pretty amazing mountain passes.

 
Fairly rugged...
 
As for me, when John was gone on this particular trip, I had considered walking to Evergreen, the next town over about 15 miles away, but there was none of my dear friends or family I really felt like I wanted to put on call to pick me up and bring me home. Well, I asked one of my children but that didn't work out.   Can you say inconvenience? Ill have to get over that at some point. This training endeavor may yet happen as it will give us a good idea of what a day might be like on the Camino.  I have been doing the short trips around home, which are about 4 miles each or so.  Guess Ive been slacking....
 
It's hard to believe we are actually doing this!  I have to pinch myself sometimes.  I watched a video of the Camino by Helicopter and got goose bumps getting a glimpse of some of the places we will be seeing.  It brought tears to my eyes seeing pilgrims walking along their way from above, only imagining the reasons for their journeys and knowing we will be among them....soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment