Monday, October 7, 2013

Rabanal del Camino Our Brush with Bollywood

We entered the mountains today which was a relief and so welcome and reminded us of home.  We begin our journey to the highest point on the Camino.

I have begun to feel under the weather with the cold John had a few days before. I am trying not to make too much of it. If I ignore it maybe it will go away. Better yet, if I see myself in the perfection in which I was made, it might just disappear. We will see.

Our stop for coffee this morning had us witness to a Frenchman named Patrick, who we would come to know later, asking an Indian woman and the two men their names and other pertinent questions.  When one of the men told him they worked for her, my ears perked up.  They told Patrick she was their boss.  They said they were helping her along the way.  I was reminded of the days of old I have read about when the nobles of the times would sometimes have servants along the way to help with baggage and sometimes they would even have servants walk the Camino for them!

After 20ks, we checked into the private albergue, nuestra Senora del Pilar which had a wonderful courtyard with bar.  We noticed when we settled into our bunks that the Indian woman and her two "servants" were camped out and taking up space in the next two bunks, her stuff spread out all over the place, no regard for others around her.  We heard later that she is a Bollywood actress. Could just be another Camino rumor.  Maybe she is researching a role she will play. Anyway it was very interesting observing these characters.

We met a nice French Canadian man named Christian who was doing 30ks a day until he was slowed down by a huge blister like so many others.  We all met with New Mexicans Ken and his wife Elise for vespers and Gregorian chant with the Barvarian monks who run the small chapel in the village there.  The chapel was, by far, the most simple, beautiful, and humble of these ancient places we have seen.  After all the ornate cathedrals, this little place, in its simplicity, just struck a chord.  Christian, speaking fluent French was asked to be a reader, for which he quickly agreed. They found people adept at other languages and commenced their chanting of prayer of which we followed along in our respective  languages.  It was amazingly beautiful.

The next morning we awoke to the pleading of one of the 'Bollywood servants'.  In your best Indian accent, "I have the option not to walk today.  It is in my contract. I will not walk today."







2 comments:

  1. Cayce
    I just love the daily commentary of your walk
    So sensitive and insightful
    Truly a delight to read.

    It is so much fun to be a part of such an epic adventure.

    You both look fantastic!
    I am constantly sending you Energy for good strength and good health.
    Love you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, thank you so much. I am feeling your energy and responding! Love you so much!

      Delete