Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Molinaseca Much Harder Than I Thought

Today I was excited and asked John if he had his stone handy. The one I asked him to pack before we left. I remember him asking me what the hell he needed a stone for and why would he want to carry the extra weight.

My Native American friend, Susan, from Denver, gave me a medicine bag to carry with me on this journey. She told me I would need a mineral to add to it that would reveal itself to me. I found a small stone from home to add to the medicine bag before I left.

We were headed for the Cruz de Ferro where it is tradition for pilgrims to deposit a pebble there which they have carried from home to ask for protection on the rest of their journey.  My friend in Denver had no idea that my "mineral" would be needed just for this purpose. Another Camino moment for sure.

The Cruz de Ferro is a large cross on a hill basically. It is also almost the highest point on the Camino which is actually a few kilometers from there but nonetheless it is a highpoint of the journey.  John did listen finally and did bring a stone as did I.  We placed our rocks on the pile with all the others and other momentos of pilgrims past and it was pretty emotional.

After that all I remember is going down. Forever. It never stopped. I'm glad to have prayed for protection for the rest of my journey because I certainly felt that I needed it now.  My legs were so spent and I am so glad not to have had any mishaps going down the steep mountain after walking over 12 miles.  We reached Molinaseca thinking that we would stop at the town beforehand that the guide book mentioned that was called Puente but was not there!  So we continued on. We stopped at the first hostal that we came upon and booked in.  I was glad to have my own bathroom at the end of the day.

We ended up meeting our friends Ken and Elise from New Mexico along with our Spanish friends Arnau and Rita for dinner and learned the fascinating political reality of Spain in the current times until all hours.  We had no idea. I am so glad to have come to know them. Our view of the world is really expanding admittedly.  We ended the night with Rita buying us the Spanish after dinner drink that is like an Irish creme.

I think I am learning another Camino lesson. I need to listen to my body and give it a rest in all aspects.  Physical, social, and therefore emotional....it is serving me well on this Camino and for that I am grateful....I need to respond in kind....















2 comments:

  1. Nancy and I continue to thoroughly enjoy your posts. We were getting worried when we didn't see any of your posts for a few days. We're happy and relieved to see you're back "online." We look forward each morning to reading your posts. You and John are doing remarkably well. You are so close to Galicia! Good on ya Mates! We pray for your continued protection and safe travels. Love from Joe and Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joe and Nancy! We are in Tricastella tonight and hope to make Sarria tomorrow. As you know wifi is spotty in some place and of course I am exhausted so writing campn be a bit dope a challenge trying to catch you up. It is so wonderful and humbling to me to know that so many are enjoying our posts. Love to you back in our homeland from us.

      Delete